IPOB remains proscribed

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), a south east secession group, has lost its bid to challenge its proscription.

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday rejected an application by the proscribed group, challenging the order banning it.

In a ruling by Justice Adamu Kafarati, the court held that the proscription order made ex-parte on September 20 last year was validly made.

The court also held that IPOB’s application, seeking the vacation of the proscription order was unmeritorious and deserved to be dismissed.

The judge awarded N500,000 cost against IPOB.

The South East Governors’ Forum had proscribed the activities of the IPOB in the wake of the group’s confrontation with the military in Abia state.

Arising from its emergency meeting in Enugu, Chairman of the forum, Gov. Dave Umahi of Ebonyi requested the group and other of such groups to articulate their grievances and send to the forum.

Umahi appealed to all governors in the zone to ensure compliance with the directive in their various states and for the Federal Government to withdraw the troops in the zone.

Umahi said: “All activities of IPOB are, hereby, proscribed. IPOB and all other aggrieved groups are advised to articulate their position on all national issues.

“Such should be submitted to the committee of governors, Ohaneze Ndi Igbo and National Assembly members from the South East zone through the chairman of the South East Governors’ Forum,” he said.

The Presidency also issued proscribed the group which was challenged in court.

Justice Abdul Kafarati of the Federal High Court in Abuja had earlier endorsed the presidential order banning the Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB).

The Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami, had filed an exparte application urging the court to grant the injunction.

President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier given written approval for the proscription of the group, pending legal process.

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.